Elder Law vs. Estate Planning
While an estate plan addresses concerns after you're gone, it doesn't outline what happens if you're unable to manage your own affairs while you're still alive. Learn more about our elder law and estate planning services offered at Johnson / Turner Legal, so we can help you in any stage of life.
What is Estate Planning?
In general, estate planning arranges important medical, financial, and legal choices that need to be made as one generation passes from this life and transfers their accrued wisdom, property, and wishes to the next generation. Simply put: estate planning can help you plan for what happens to your assets and property after you pass away. This can be done at any age and can be edited at any time.
Estate planning typically includes drafting your:
- Power of Attorney
- Transfer on Death Deeds (DoDs)
What is Elder Law?
A lawyer can help you or your loved one navigate the unique legal issues that come with old age more easily. Though this includes tasks such as drafting a will and testament and planning your estate, elder law specifically focuses on senior citizens and their estates. Estate planning, in contrast, can be beneficial for any person at any stage in life.
Do I Need An Attorney?
You should consider hiring an attorney experienced in elder law if:
- You are a senior citizen without an estate plan.
- You are a senior citizen confused about how to handle Social Security benefits.
- You are a senior citizen confused about how to handle Medicaid benefits.
- You are a senior citizen that needs help with a long-term plan.
- You are a loved one of a senior citizen that needs help securing benefits.
- You are a loved one of a senior citizen concerned about elder abuse.
Elder Law and Estate Planning Services in Minnesota
At Johnson / Turner Legal, we believe that everyone deserves to live out their golden years with grace — whether you’re currently 30 or 90. As the saying goes, "age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
We help our elderly clients feel empowered to live life to the fullest. For help with estate planning or elder law issues, contact our team today.