Certified Translations

Our world is growing increasingly connected.  It is more and more common for people to move hundreds or even thousands of miles away from where they were initially raised.  This could mean that you and your family end up living in a country that speaks a totally different language from where you were born and lived the first part of your life.  In addition, it could mean that there are important documents from other countries that you may require in order to go forward with a court case here in Minnesota.  In such a situation, you may need a certified translation.

A certified translation is when a document is translated from one language to another by a translator with very specific accreditations, who has been recognized by the court.  A certified translator will not only translate the requested documents (for a fee), but also provide a signed statement swearing that the translation is accurate and complete.

There are several different times when a certified translation will be required during your court case.  One of the most common times is when you are seeking a divorce from your spouse, but he or she now lives abroad.  International law often requires that when you file your divorce and have your spouse served in that foreign country, a certified translation of the documents must also be sent.  This is true even if you are certain that your spouse is fluent in English and does not actually require a certified translation to understand the nature of the case being brought against him or her.

Another time that certified translations may be necessary is when there are bank statements or other documents detailing assets that are in a foreign language and assets are at issue in your case.  For example, if your soon to be former spouse has bank statements in France and all of the statements are in French, it is likely you will need to have those documents translated into English before they can be properly submitted into evidence during your divorce hearing.  Similarly, if you are involved in a probate case, and the decedent owned property in a foreign country or there are creditors filing claims that involve debts or assets outside of the country, it may be necessary to have a certified translation done to move forward with probate.

We have extensive experience helping our clients understand the technical requirements of their cases.  Call us today at 651-413-9568 to talk about your case and what needs to be done to move forward.